A Quebecer accused of threats to Justin Trudeau and the muslim community

Un Québécois accusé de menaces envers Justin Trudeau et la communauté musulmane

André Audet reportedly made threats against the prime minister Justin Trudeau and the muslim community.

17 January 2020 15h56

Share

A Quebecer accused of threats to Justin Trudeau and the muslim community

The canadian Press

Share

MONTREAL — The royal Canadian mounted police (RCMP) said that a man of Boucherville has been charged in connection with threats that had been made online against prime minister Justin Trudeau and the muslim community.

André Audet, 62 years old, appeared at the courthouse in Longueuil on 9 January; he was accused of public incitement to hatred and masterminding voluntarily hatred. According to the indictments filed at the palace of justice, the crimes allegedly occurred between January 1 and October 22, 2019 – the day after the last federal election.

The spokesperson for the RCMP Melanie Cappiello-Stebenne says in an email that it is the integrated Team of the national security who had investigated this case. She reminds us that the federal police takes all threats seriously and that the comments are violent are not tolerated.

“The people who write such comments are liable to severe punishment, writes the caporale Cappiello-Stebenne. Although those who are the subject of the investigation may have not been in direct contact with the individuals or groups targeted, their comments are just as disturbing and could lead to acts of violence.”

In Ottawa, the firm that Justin Trudeau recalled that he refuses to comment on “matters relating to the security of the prime minister”.

Mr. Audet has to come back before the court on 24 march.

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *