A short guide to housing assistance in anticipation of July 1

A short guide to housing assistance in anticipation of July 1st

In the midst of a housing crisis, it is difficult to see clearly in the assistance services offered to tenants. As July 1 approaches, Métrohas put together a list of resources that can help you if you are still looking for a place to live. A few government bodies and government programs related to access to housing have also been added.

Le 311

On the territory of the City of Montreal, anyone who cannot find housing must first contact the City, by dialing 311. It is via this number that citizens in need will be directed to the resources appropriate to their situation. You will be referred to one of the organizations below.

Office municipal d’habitation de Montréal (OMHM)

The mission of the OMHM is to provide housing and services for low-income people. These subsidized dwellings allow households to pay a rent corresponding to 25% of their income. These are low-rent housing (HLM) or housing subsidized by the Rent Supplement Program (PSL).

You’ll be able to apply for housing on the OMHM’s website. Of course, you must first check the eligibility criteria. One of these criteria is the total gross household income.

Short guide to housing assistance in anticipation of July 1st

If your situation meets all the eligibility criteria, you will be eligible for all types of housing offered by the OMHM. If you do not meet all the criteria, including income, you may be eligible for affordable housing. These have been built since 2013 as part of the AccèsLogis program. From 2002 to 2010, they were built as part of the Quebec Affordable Housing program.

These units can help households waiting for subsidized housing, and can also accommodate households whose income exceeds the amounts mentioned above. Rents are not determined by income, but rather by the building, its location, the services offered and the size of the unit. For more information, call 514 483-4118.

Administrative Housing Tribunal

The Administrative Housing Tribunal is better known by its former name, the Régie du logement. This court decides disputes between landlords and tenants. Remember that while tenants have rights, landlords do too. When signing a lease, both parties have obligations towards each other and the Tribunal administratif du logement is there to ensure that these obligations are respected.

According to Éducaloi, the court can hear cases related to the “lease of a residential dwelling when the amount requested or the value of the thing claimed is less than $85,000”. He can also hear cases related to “the renewal of a lease, the fixing of rent, the repossession of a dwelling, the subdivision, the change of assignment, the substantial expansion of a housing or the lease of low-rental housing, regardless of the amount”.

If your rights are not respected as a tenant, it’s therefore to go to the Administrative Housing Tribunal. It offers free consultations, telephone meetings to help applicants in their efforts. Here is the link to the section of its website answering the most frequently asked questions.

The Popular Action Front in Urban Redevelopment (FRAPRU)

Like the RCLALQ, the FRAPRU is a community organization that campaigns for the right to housing. The mission of this group is to improve the housing conditions of low-income people. FRAPRU does not provide direct assistance to tenants in need; it’s an organization that advocates with governments.

For several years, FRAPRU has been implementing various means of pressure on governments so that they respond to their demands.

Housing committees and the RCLALQ

In Quebec, several housing committees help citizens understand and defend their rights as tenants. On the island of Montreal, they are distributed in each neighborhood. Throughout Quebec, they are grouped under the Regroupement des committees de logement et associations de tenants du Québec (RCLALQ).

Without being able to offer housing, the housing committee in your neighborhood can help you defend your rights and help you find housing. He can also help you put in place a strategy to win your case with your landlord. Moreover, the committees mainly aim to help tenants keep their housing in the event of a conflict.

The RCLALQ website brings together all housing committees in Quebec, including those in Montreal. The mission of this group is to act as a political spokesperson for tenants and to promote the right to housing. The RCLALQ does not offer service individually to tenants.

  • Ahuntsic-Cartierville Housing Committee
  • Oeuil Côte-des-Neiges
  • Project Genesis (Côte-des-Neiges)
  • Infologis: Montreal East Island Housing Committee
  • Entraide Logement (Hochelaga-Maisonneuve)
  • Lachine-LaSalle Housing Committee
  • Montréal-Nord Housing Committee
  • LogisAction NDG
  • Parc-Extension Action Committee
  • Little Patrie Housing Committee
  • Plateau Mont-Royal Housing Committee
  • Pointe-Saint Housing Information Group -Charles
  • Rosemont Housing Committee
  • Saint-Laurent Housing Committee
  • Action Dignité de Saint-Léonard
  • René-Goupil Community Educational Center (Saint-Michel)
  • P.O.P.I.R. Housing Committee (South-West)
  • Action Committee for Citizens of Verdun
  • Ville-Marie Housing Committee
  • Tenants Association of Villeray< /li>
  • Arnold Bennett Housing Hotline (Westmount)

Société d’habitation du Québec (SHQ)

The Société d’habitation du Québec is a government agency aimed at meeting the needs of the citizens of the province. For low-income people, it offers low-cost and affordable housing. It also offers a rent supplement to these people.

If you are not a low-income person, the SHQ has set up emergency services in this context of the housing crisis. It’s therefore through the Emergency Rent Supplement and Municipal Grants Program that you have the best chance of finding help. As the money is distributed to the municipalities (only at their request), it is by doing business with them that you could have access to this assistance measure. To reach SHQ customer service, dial 1 800 463-4315. To communicate with the City of Montreal, 311 is a good starting point.

Eligible expenses are expenses related to temporary accommodation or the safe storage of property and furniture of homeless households. The SHQ has set up an information campaign aimed at making it easier to access resources for those who are still looking for housing as July 1 approaches. All the resources offered by the SHQ are gathered here.

Resources for people in need of adapted housing are also available and accessible via the SHQ website.

AccèsLogis Québec

AccèsLogis is the provincial program allowing the creation of social housing. Created in 2013, it replaced the similar program in place from 2002 to 2010. This program allows housing offices (such as the OMHM), housing cooperatives and non-profit organizations, among others, to to create social housing and affordable housing.

The financial assistance granted through this program comes from grants from the SHQ and the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation.

You can consult the directory of organizations listed among the partners and agents of the SHQ linked to the AccèsLogis program.

Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC)

The CMHC is the most important crown corporation in the 21st century. Founded in 1946, it was intended to house World War II veterans. Its role eventually extended to the entire population. Its mission today is to make housing more affordable.

This company finances various housing-related projects. Simply put, the Government of Canada funds, through CMHC, projects related to affordable housing. It’s a bit like the Société d’habitation du Québec, but at the federal level.

CMHC also offers various advice on its website.

Previous Article
Next Article

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *