Carbon monoxide: more than a hundred poisonings in Montreal

Monoxide emissions: more than a hundred poisonings in Montreal

Propane-powered appliances cause carbon monoxide emissions, which are harmful to health.

Montreal Public Health warns citizens of the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning, as more than a hundred residents of the metropolis have been admitted to hospitals since Wednesday, following exposure to this harmful gas.

A warning was issued on Saturday, recalling that “many Montreal families are affected by carbon monoxide poisoning due to power outages in the greater metropolitan area”.

Public Health reiterates that appliances intended for outdoor use, such as charcoal barbecues, propane barbecues or camping equipment, should not be used indoors. It also asks generator owners to place their machines outside and away from air inlets (windows, doors, ventilation system) in order to prevent “carbon monoxide from infiltrating and contaminating the indoor air”.

Carbon monoxide (CO) is an odorless, colorless poisonous gas that poses a threat to health even at low levels of exposure.

Poisoning to this substance can cause a series of symptoms that vary according to the degree of exposure: headaches, dizziness, nausea, vomiting or great fatigue can be felt in cases of mild poisoning while fainting , comas and even death can occur in more severe situations.

Previous Article
Next Article

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *