The leader of an Austrian far-right group has been raided in connection with the investigation into the anti-Muslim attacks in Christchurch, New Zealand, the Austrian prosecutor’s office said on Tuesday.
Co-founder of the Austrian Identity Movement (IBÖ), 30-year-old Martin Sellner saw his Viennese home raided Monday night as part of an investigation into “suspicion of involvement in a terrorist organization,” said the prosecutor’s office in Graz (south) .
The activist admitted receiving a donation of 1500 euros ($ 2275 CDN) a month ago from Brenton Tarrant, the Australian who massacred 50 worshipers in two mosques in Christchurch on March 15.
In a video published on the night of Monday to Tuesday, Martin Sellner however assured to have had “no contact” with Tarrant, claiming to have limited himself to send him a short e-mail of thanks.
Chancellor Sebastian Kurz on Tuesday urged that “any link between the person responsible for the Christchurch bombings and the Identitaries in Austria is brought to light in its entirety and without indulgence”.
The Interior Ministry said Thursday that Tarrant had been in Austria on a tour of Central Europe and the Balkans. According to press reports, he arrived in Vienna on 26 November and has also reportedly traveled to Carinthia (south), Salzburg and Innsbruck (west).
Martin Sellner’s computer and phone were seized during the search and thoroughly reviewed.
The activist, who is banned from entering the British territory, was sued last year with sixteen other members of the IBÖ for “forming a criminal organization” and “spreading an ideology racist “, but had been relaxed in July.