The president of the Fédération des médecins spécialistes du Québec, Diane Francoeur, has identified the creation of a new Institute for the relevance as being the “heart” of the agreement. It is a true “way of passage”, said the president of the treasury Board, Christian Dubé.
December 11, 2019 7h56
Updated at 21h28
Compensation: medical specialists approve the agreement with the government
The Canadian Press
Medical specialists say that they are fully satisfied with the agreement reached with the government of Quebec, which provides for a drawdown of $ 1.6 billion over four years in their total compensation package.
This money, however, will be reinvested in specialist medicine, for the benefit of Quebecers, welcomed the president of the Fédération des médecins spécialistes du Québec (FMSQ), Diane Francoeur.
At a press conference in Quebec city Wednesday, it identified the creation of a new Institute for the relevance as being the “heart” of the agreement. It is a true “way of passage”, said the president of the treasury Board, Christian Dubé.
This institute, composed of members of the government and of the FMSQ, of which we know very few details, will be in charge of managing the $ 1.6 billion. It may decide in particular to add the nursing staff in the operating theatres.
It will also be called upon to eliminate actions deemed to be irrelevant, and the abolition of premiums. It is far from certain that medical specialists will see their fees drop accordingly.
During the election campaign, the Coalition avenir Quebec (CAQ) had affirmed that the doctors were paid too handsomely. She had promised to cut $ 1 billion of their annual compensation.
Once elected, the prime minister François Legault, has changed its discourse. He hoped that the doctors earn 9 % less than their colleagues in the rest of Canada, “as all workers in Quebec.”
The FMSQ has been represented by former premier Lucien Bouchard in this case.
On Wednesday, Mr. Dubé has announced that the sums recovered will instead be the following : 148 million $ 2019-2020, then 280 million, $ 403 million and $ finally $ 560 million in 2022-2023. This is in addition to nearly $ 200 million of non-recurring.
The details of the agreement will be made public next Tuesday. The Institute of the relevance, which will have to manage these amounts, which will be “excessively transparent,” assured Mr. Dubé, who has denied wanting to create a second ministry of Health in parallel.
He said to ignore if the Institute will be accountable to the national Assembly, and if it will be subject to the Law on access to information. “I’ll admit that we did not even thought yet to the type of organization it’s going to be,” he said.
Mr. Dubé has justified the retreat on the promise of a billion by the results of the study from the canadian Institute for health information (CIHI), which will be made public in January.
According to him, the study shows that specialist physicians are now at par with the canadian average. But the doctors have agreed to adjust the “cost of living”, he said.
One thing is for certain, the hatchet seems to be buried between the government of Quebec and the FMSQ. Ms. Francoeur said that she was eager to turn the page and to put an end to disputes.
“You have no idea at what point the specialist doctors are tanned denigration, she said. All they want is to treat patients. […] It’s been five years that we have been screaming out names of birds and that is dealing with thieves.”
Tuesday evening, the delegates of the federation, which represents tens of thousands of doctors, approved by 88% of agreement-in-principle on their pay that had been concluded there are nearly a month with the government.
The Quebec liberal Party (QLP), for its part, derided this new agreement with which the government Legault “attempts to numb the population,” he says.
“The government has been seeking a way to divert the attention by submitting the idea of an Institute of relevance. A proposal which does affect the remuneration of physicians. It also remains to be seen how will unfold this institute,” said in a press release the liberal critic for the cases related to the Treasury Board, Gaétan Barrette.
“A beautiful public relations operation. […] I assert, without the slightest hesitation, that the next year no specialist will see his salary decrease. It is a victory on the whole line of the FMSQ”, he added.
“I see a lot of creativity also, Mr. Dubé, especially to make us forget the promise of a billion dollars! This is annoying coming from a government that bombait the torso and boasted of not falling victim to the lobbies,” responded the as Vincent Marissal, of Québec solidaire.