Denis Côté again selected for the Berlinale with “A summer like that”
“A Summer Like That” by Denis Côté
The Quebec filmmaker is back at the Berlinale – for the fifth time! A summer like thisby Denis Côté is in official competition alongside 17 international feature films.
With this selection at the 72nd Berlinale, Denis Côté is in the running for the Golden and Silver Bears. He had been there three times in the past, for Repertory of Disappeared Towns, Boris without Béatrice and Vic + Flo saw a bear . He had also received the Alfred-Bauer Prize (Silver Bear for Innovation) in 2013 for the latter.
In 2021, his previous film, the comedy Social Hygiene, earned him the prize for best director in the Encounters section.
Denis Côté's fourteenth feature film will have its world premiere at the Berlinale. It stars Larissa Corriveau (Repertory of Disappeared Cities), Laure Giappiconi (La Douleur), Anne Ratte-Polle (Undine), Samir Guesmi (Ibrahim) and Aude Mathieu.
A summer like this, whose release date in Quebec is unknown, tells the story of three young women who find themselves in a nursing home to explore their sexual discomfort.
Finally, other Canadian works were also selected by the prestigious Berlin film festival this year. The series The Time of Raspberries by Philippe Falardeau will thus be screened at the end of the Berlinale Series section.
The films in competition at the 72nd Berlinale
- AEIOU – Das schnelle Alphabet der Liebe (AEIOU – A Quick Alphabet of Love ) by Nicolette Krebitz
- Alcarràs by Carla Simón
- With love and relentlessness by Claire Denis
- Rimini by Ulrich Seidl
- Drii Winter (A Piece of Sky) by Michael Koch
- Everything Will Be Ok by Rithy Panh
- The Line (The Line) by Ursula Meier
- Leonora addio by Paolo Taviani
- Passengers of the Night by Mikhaël Hers
- Nana (Before, Now & Then) by Kamila Andini
- Peter von Kant by François Ozon
- Rabiye Kurnaz gegen George W. Bush by Andreas Dresen
- Dress of Gems by Natalia López Gallardo
- So -seol-ga-ui Yeong-hwa by Hong Sangsoo
- Un año, una noche d&rsquo ;Isaki Lacuesta
- A Summer Like Thatby Denis Côté
- Yin Ru Chen Yan (Return to Dust) by Li Ruijun
< li>Call Jane by Phyllis Nagy