William Levasseur and Mélina Tremblay has attended for the past four years. The couple perished in the fire that destroyed a residence of Matane, in the night from Friday to Saturday.
November 10, 2019 23h44
Fatal fire in Matane: “Melina, it was a sister”
MATANE — The fire that claimed the lives of Mélina Tremblay and William Levasseur, Saturday morning, has created a shock wave in Matane. If we rely on the many testimonies which descend on the social networks, the two lovers 20 years old were very well known in their community, and especially highly appreciated. “Melina, it was more than a best friend to me, it was a sister,” pointed out Florence Létourneau in an interview to the Sun.
“I’ve known at the beginning of secondary school,” recalls the young woman from Matane, sobs in the voice. “We quickly developed a nice complicity. We followed him everywhere, we spent our weekends together. It was a girl outstanding. She had the talent, either in the ski or with the horses. It was full of goodness.”
Florence will never forget how much Melina has been invaluable during a period of his life that was particularly difficult. “She, I was never dropped, she says. She forbade me, took care of me and made me laugh. It is all the time supported.”
Melina and William will be attending for the past four years. “I immediately saw that they were made to be together, they loved each other deeply, described Florence. I was never worried because I knew how he was a good guy, that he would take care of it and protect it. They complemented each other well, either by their character, their dreams, their way of being.”
Florence and Mélina had two dreams in common : take a trip in the south and get a matching tattoo. “We achieved both of these dreams, there is console Florence. Mélina, it was an inspiring model. I can’t help but think of the memories that we shared and it’s positive moments.”
Florence Létourneau defines her best friend as “a girl who had the audacity and someone human”. “She always gave me a smile and she will continue, she believes. It will give me the strength to get through. I know she and William will continue to move forward together. Now, they are beings of light. They are in peace, they are serene.”
Melina was studying at the Cégep de Matane in administration. According to Florence, she had the intention of working with his father and eventually take over the business. As for William, he was an electrician.
The two young people in Matane were athletes. Mélina practiced horse riding and alpine skiing. William was a follower of motocross. Pierre-Luc Fournier has known Mélina on the slopes of alpine skiing. “I’ve been skiing with it, tells the story of the young man from Rimouski. When she stopped competing, she continued to coach with the Club alpin du Mont-Castor. The young people loved him a lot.”
THE CASE IS A VENTILATION UNIT DEFECTIVE
MATANE — The emergency call was made around 5 a.m. Saturday. The firefighters arrived, the blaze had already destroyed a good part of the single-family residence on the chemin des Sous-Bois, in the area of Petit-Matane. A total of 26 firefighters attempted to fight the destructive element. Always in life, the two victims were transported by ambulance, but died a few moments later in the hospital.
The claim is of incidental nature. According to the Sûreté du Québec, the survey points to a ventilation unit that it was defective. Although the research is completed, investigators are trying to understand the exact circumstances of the tragedy.
A campaign sociofinancement has been launched on the platform GoFundme in order to help the mother of William. More than $ 12,000 had been raised in just over 24 hours.
To contribute : bit.ly/32BYgkI. Special Collaboration, Johanne Fournier