Some residents were able to return to their housing in the hours following the fire at the Manor house of the Augustines in Gaspé.
January 2, 2020 9h44
Updated at 12h53
General evacuation to the Manor house of the Augustines in Gaspé
GASPÉ — fire minor, which occurred on the night of 31 December to 1 January, caused a general evacuation of the Manor of St. Augustine, a residence for elderly people of Gaspé, located next to the hospital and managed by Selection retirement.
The alert was given at 0 h 50 and the evacuation of the 131 residents in the 123 apartments has been quickly carried out by the police officers, firefighters and paramedics. “The response was quick, because everyone has put their shoulder to the wheel […] Nobody was injured and there was no hospital because no one has been inconvenienced seriously by the smoke. The sprinklers are triggered, and they have done their work,” says Claude Doiron, a spokesperson for the Sûreté du Québec.
Some residents were able to return to their housing in the hours following the fire. The cause is the subject of an investigation. “A smoker’s article could be in question. The fire started in a mattress,” said Mr. Doiron. The residents have been or are still housed temporarily in a sanatorium, Bishop of Ross, in their families and a few people have been taken care of by the red Cross. The damage assessment is ongoing. It is mainly a question of damage caused by water and smoke, according to initial observations, note the sergeant Doiron.