High speed internet in the region: Legault disavows his minister, says the PQ
Marie-Eve Proulx and François Legault, in Montmagny, during the electoral campaign, in August 2018
Share October 7, 2020 10:10 am Share high-speed Internet in the region: Legault disavows his minister, says PQ Caroline Plante The Canadian Press QUEBEC – François Legault has disowned his minister in the high-speed Internet issue, estimates the Parti Québécois.
On Tuesday, in a rare gesture, the Prime Minister rose in the House to contradict the minister responsible for regional economic development, Marie-Eve Proulx.
He declared, contrary to what Ms. Proulx was saying, that his government was going to keep its electoral promise to connect all Quebecers to high speed Internet before the end of the mandate.
Ms. Proulx had just replied to PQ MP Harold LeBel that the projects will not all be completed, but rather selected or underway in 2022.
According to Radio-Canada, Ms. Proulx had known for a year that the government would not be able to keep its promise. “The Prime Minister disowned his minister,” LeBel said Wednesday.
François Legault made the “wrong choice” Tuesday by not telling the “truth” to Quebeckers, for his part believes the parliamentary leader of the Liberal Party of Quebec, André Fortin.
This promise to connect all Quebecers to high speed Internet, repeated many times by Mr. Legault this summer during a tour of the regions, was a “hoax”, he thundered at a press briefing.
Liberal leader Dominique Anglade was surprised that no digital infrastructure was included in Bill 66, which aims to speed up certain infrastructure projects, such as seniors' homes.
According to her, if high-speed Internet connection had been a real priority, the government would have included it in its bill.