Netflix Resolves to Remove Lac-Mégantic Images in “Bird Box”

The images of the Lac-Mégantic derailment will finally be erased from the movie “Bird Box”, La Presse canadienne has learned.

“Netflix and the filmmakers of” Bird Box “have decided to replace the sequence,” said a spokesman for the broadcast giant in a brief email.

“We are sorry for the grief caused to the Lac-Mégantic community,” he added.

The use of images of the railway tragedy that killed 47 lives on the night of July 6, 2013 shocked many.

Politicians have gone to the wall to express their indignation and demand the withdrawal of this feature film starring Sandra Bullock.

The Minister of Culture of Quebec, Nathalie Roy, wrote to the company last January to ask to erase them from production.

The American society did not accede to this request, only to apologize and promise to do better in the future.

Finally, some three months later, here she is again.

“We recognize that we should have acted more quickly,” said a source at the company, who declined to be named, in an interview to discuss the case more freely.

“For us, it’s an important lesson. It is a lesson of humility, “added the same source.

This outcome satisfies the Mayor of Lac-Mégantic, Julie Morin.

“Of course there was a delay, but I think that in the end, the most important for me is that we have a result in this situation that it seemed important enough to settle” she said.

She is delighted that the company has questioned the use of images of real dramas for entertainment purposes, for fiction productions.

“I think it’s important that there’s industry thinking about that. It seems like it was done in this case, “she said in a telephone interview.

At the Quebec government, we “take note of the decision of Netflix and its partners to remove images of the tragedy of Lac-Megantic,” said Minister Nathalie Roy.

“This gesture was long awaited by the Quebec population (…),” she said in a written statement sent by her office.

She claimed to have “a thought” for the Méganticois who “have been hard hit by this whole affair”.

It was not only on the side of the National Assembly that the company was criticized.

A motion was passed in the House in Ottawa to direct Netflix to remove the images and pay compensation to the community.

Heritage Minister Pablo Rodriguez welcomed the company’s change of course, which had been a priori restive.

“The company made the right decision by pulling back and removing these images from his film,” he said in an email sent by his office Thursday morning.

The version of “Bird Box” expurgated from these images should be released within one to two weeks, according to information obtained by The Canadian Press.

Sequences of the tragedy were also used in the series “Travelers of Time”, which is also part of the Netflix productions catalog.

The Toronto box behind the series, Peacock Alley Entertainment, was quick to apologize for using them.

The images have since been crossed out.

Share Button