Recall of several potentially carcinogenic hair products
Health Canada recommends that the recalled aerosol products be discontinued immediately and properly disposed of.
Take a walk in your pharmacy: some of your products could be targeted by a Health Canada recall due to the presence of benzene, a carcinogenic substance.
The eight affected products of the Herbal Essences and Pantene brands are mostly dry shampoos and dry conditioners, which help give the mane a minute clean boost, at least in appearance.
Photo: Health Canada
Traces of benzene have been detected.
“Exposure to benzene, which can occur by inhalation, oral use and skin contact, can cause cancers such as leukemia and blood cancer of the bone marrow, as well as life-threatening blood disorders” , explains the government agency in the notice published on December 20.
However, it should be noted that the concentrations detected should not have harmful effects on health, according to exposure models and cancer risk assessments published by the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
Health Canada still recommends that you stop using the affected products and throw them away “immediately”. A refund can be requested directly from the company.
Here is the exact list of recalls:
- Aerosol spray of dry conditioner in the form of Pantene Mist Behaving Mist, 112 g
- Herbal Essences Cucumber & Green Tea Dry Shampoo Spray, 50 g (Travel Size)
- Herbal Essences Dry Shampoo Spray blood orange and mint, 140 g
- Pantene Never Tell Dry Shampoo Spray, 120 g
- Pantene Dry Shampoo Spray, 140 g
- Herbal Essences Blue Ginger Refreshing Dry Shampoo Spray, 140g
- Herbal Essences Cucumber & Green Tea Conditioning Dry Shampoo Spray, 140g
- Oil Spray Spray Pantene Smooth Talker Conditioner Hair Dryer, 112g