SNC-Lavalin: Wilson-Raybould to provide additional “evidence”

Former Justice Minister Jody Wilson-Raybould will share e-mails, text messages and “relevant facts and evidence” related to the SNC-Lavalin case.

E lle confirmed in a letter dated March 21, she sent the president of the Standing Committee on Justice and Human Rights, Anthony Housefather.

“In my testimony, I was asked to provide additional information. In particular, I was asked to produce the text and e-mail messages I referred to in my testimony of February 27, 2019, “reads.

“After deliberation, I decided to produce the text messages and emails in question,” says the former attorney general, saying deduce from the decision taken last Tuesday by the committee to complete the investigation that it would not be convened again.

And that’s not all.

“On the same subject, I also have in my possession relevant facts and evidence that clarify some of my statements and help clarify the accuracy and nature of statements made by witnesses who appeared after me” she says.

The people who testified after her were Gerald Butts, former prime secretary to the Prime Minister, Michael Wernick, former Clerk of the Privy Council, and Nathalie Drouin, deputy minister of justice.

All offered versions of the facts that cast doubt on a number of the elements of Jody Wilson-Raybould’s testimony. Remember that the SNC-Lavalin affair drove the heads of the first two.

Former Minister Wilson-Raybould does not specify in his letter that text messages, e-mails and other documents will be provided to the committee.

In an email exchange with The Canadian Press on Friday, Anthony Housefather also said he ignored it. Everything will probably be made public, the practice of the committee being “that the submissions are public,” said the Liberal MP.

Jody Wilson-Raybould’s letter came on the heels of the publication of an explosive interview with former Treasury Board President Jane Philpott, who also resigned from the firm in the wake of the story.

In an interview with Maclean’s magazine, she warned that there was still much to be said about this case that has involved Justin Trudeau’s government for a month and a half.

The Chamber as a tribune?

Among the Liberals, more and more people are saying that they agree with the idea that the two resigning ministers speak in the House of Commons, where they enjoy parliamentary privilege.

“I am a lawyer and I understand that there is no problem in the House,” Minister of the Environment Catherine McKenna said in a hurry, showing some impatience.

“If there is something else to say, it’s good, (…) but it should be done quickly because we need to continue the work we do,” she said. backed up as she came to the microphone to talk about the budget tabled earlier this week.

It must be said that it’s been weeks since history has been monopolizing almost all the attention on the hill in Ottawa. The tabling of the budget on Tuesday was completely overshadowed by the SNC-Lavalin affair – many because of Conservative efforts to keep it alive.

In these same Conservatives, we would still not be satisfied if Jody Wilson-Raybould and Jane Philpott were speaking in the House. It would be “a smokescreen” and we would not go “deep down” as we could do in committee, said MP Pierre Paul-Hus.

Share Button